Thursday, July 14, 2011

Enjoy Singing and Learn How to Sing

As a self-taught female independent musician I started to make creative music and experimental electronic pop of sorts while laid up with disabling back pain. I have had to find out for myself how to sing by discovering voice exercises, joining a community choir and investing in the occasional lesson with a helpful vocal coach.

I didn't have a clue that I wanted to make music prior to this extreme housebound period. When I say housebound, I was actually living in a vintage double decker bus. So I started playing with a drum machine, a keyboard and a 4 track recorder.

So, where did my voice fit in with all these machines and effects? Well, I did actually always like to write things down. Especially when I was struggling to work something, or everything, out. And I went to University to study Modern Languages even though I didn't get to finish the studies due to said back problem. So I liked to play with words. And I started out just saying those words. Adding spoken word to the musical textures I was making.

And of course I had always loved singing. Expressive artists such as Sinead O'Connor and Tracy Chapman had seen me through my teenage angst. And I had always enjoyed the melodies of motown legends such as Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross and the Supremes. But I had never considered myself a singer. And confidence is the key I think. Or at least a key ingredient to delivering a convincing and moving performance.

I would also strongly recommend joining a community choir - there are loads of community choirs in cities like Manchester and you can always start your own singing group. Singing in a choir gives you great warm up physical and voice exercises. And it is easier to get your voice tuned up as you will more intuitively tune in with the voices around you. And you can play with different ranges - higher (soprano), middle (alto/tenor) and lower (tenor/bass).

And the other key ingredient is to develop your own singing style, explore how to sing with your unique voice. And to sing in tune and with a strong tone. I have over the years had to do a lot to develop my voice with voice exercises, breathing exercises and physical exercises. And I continue with these voice exercises with a keyboard a few times a week to try and get my tone more accurate pitch wise. You see my voice does not seem to want to sing in diatonic western scale of its own accord. And sometimes it wants to speak So sometimes my creative music involves spoken word and then I may break into melody. This fits the story I am telling for me.

So, ultimately it is about doing what you want to do, what your heart wants to communicate. The creative side of your voice. And then there is the science behind it: voice exercises, breathing exercises and enjoying singing whenever you can helps. I am enjoying using Jeannie Deva's warm-up exercises at present.

Caro is a largely self-taught independent musician, making and performing her creative music live. She is also a passionate studio recording engineer and music producer, helping others to deliver and capture their best performance.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment